On account of its inclement weather in winter, it was very inconvenient for the litigants to go to Shimla. Accordingly, the seat of the High Court was shifted to Chandigarh. The Court started functioning at Chandigarh from its present building with effect from January 17, 1955.
However, it was formally declared open by the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, on March 19, 1955. The plan of the building of the High Court was designed by the world famous French Architect, ‘Le Corbusier’ under the exuberant guidance of Hon’ble the then Chief Justice, Mr. Justice A.N. Bhandari.
Pepsu High Court merged
There existed the Patiala and East Punjab State Union (Pepsu) along the State of Punjab, which had also its own High Court known as ‘Pepsu High Court’. However by the States Re-organisation Act, 1956 the State of Pepsu was merged in the State of Punjab. The Judges of the High Court of Pepsu became Judges of the Punjab High Court. The strength of the Punjab High Court, which had originally 8 Judges rose to 13. The Punjab High Court also assumed jurisdiction over the territories which were earlier under the Pepsu High Court.
Delhi High Court created
There existed a Bench of the Punjab High Court at Delhi since 1952, which was installed by the Governor General under the power conferred on him by Clause 33 of the Lahore Letters Patent. However, a separate High Court was constituted for the Union Territory of Delhi under the Delhi High Court Act, 1966. Three Judges of the Punjab High Court were transferred to Delhi High Court. The High Court of Punjab also ceased to exercise jurisdiction in respect of Union Territory of Delhi from October 31, 1966. All the cases arising within the jurisdiction of Delhi High Court were transferred from the Punjab High Court to the High Court of Delhi.